Tuesday, January 3, 2012

23 weeks and my love/hate relationship with this pregnancy

Ah, the love / hate relationship I have with this pregnancy. I hesitate writing this post because I feel like I do a lot of complaining on here so I will start with what I LOVE.


LOVE
The baby, of course. Whether it's hormones or maternal instinct or whatever you believe, a mother's love is the most powerful force in the universe. Yesterday, I felt him move around nearly the entire day. Given that I can't see or hear him, it's the only form of communication he has with me and I relish every moment. The kicks are still gentle enough that I feel them, but I'm not uncomfortable. I actually saw my tummy pop up for a second when he kicked me. And Daddy got to feel him over the weekend! He was kicking strong and steady so I had him put his hand where I knew he would feel it and finally, the little monkey gave him two good kicks right in his hand. 
Which brings me to my next love of this pregnancy, my husband. I feel like all the love I have for the baby is shared with him too, because the baby is part of him, and it just makes me love him even more. And he's amazing. I'm really lucky.


HATE
Ok you didn't think all that love and rainbows could go on too long did you? Because I'm in PAIN you guys. Yes, I'm more than halfway there, but the baby is only ONE pound. Will I feel six times more miserable when the baby is SIX pounds!? 
Sleeping is so uncomfortable, and I have a LOT of growing to do still! Some nights are better than others, and this post is coming off one of worst nights yet. Like, crying at 4am, I feel like someone threw me down a flight of stairs, I have a headache kind of uncomfortable. My lower back sears with pain and when I wake in the middle of the night to roll over, I get a shooting pain from my hip that I was laying on all the way through my leg down to my toes. OW.


So, yeah, I'm getting a little bit worried about the next 4 months. It took this little guy 23 weeks to gain a pound, and now he's going to gain like 5-7 more in the next ~17 weeks!? 


And don't you dare even suggest that this baby is born more than 8 pounds. I'm just not built for that. I'm already starting to worry about how this baby is coming into the world! ANY fleeting thought that I MAY have had about a natural labor is completely gone. I watched this GREAT documentary by Ricki Lake, and while I think natural childbirth is probably the right and natural way to do things, I'm going to take the epidural behind Door #2 please. Thankyouverymuch.


LOVE & HATE
There's one more thing to add, before I go on to tell you what the baby will be up to this week. My boobs! This has to go into the love AND hate category. These things are already HUGE. LOVE because it's just downright impressive. I was already a decent size before I started this journey and now I've got boobs in a size people only pay for...!! HATE because I've got freak show boobies!! And I have to buy a new bra, which I hate doing.


Speaking of boobies, check out one of Trent's new outfits haha




And finally - what's baby up to this week? Not much to see here. 23 weeks old and fattening up. From what I read, he's going to gain another pound in the next few weeks! He can hear really well now, and can be startled by loud noises. He's familiar with my voice and the sound of my heart and tummy growling. 
<3

1 comment:

  1. My boobs are naturally a D so how do you think I felt pregnant and breast feeding? I HATED it :( I was like an E :(

    ReplyDelete