Monday, October 17, 2011

First Screen (and more pictures!!)

Picture day!! We had an ultrasound appointment today (my favorite.) The ultrasound tech asked me if I knew why we were there. I didn't know - I was only focused on the fact that I could see little peanut again! (Who is actually much larger than a peanut I might add.) The reason we were there was actually a very serious and important one. We were there for what is called the "First Trimester Screen."

This is a test that combines results from bloodwork and ultrasound to test for risk of chromosomal abnomalities - Down's Syndrome and Trisomy-18. The ultrasound tech was taking pictures of the baby to measure "nuchal translucency" which is measuring part of the neck. It's not a fool proof test. But if there are warning signs, then we would be asked to perform more invasive testing. I will have to wait for the results of the combination testing, but she said that from what she could measure, everything was in the normal range. What a relief.

This ultrasound was so completely different than the last one. We got to see the baby for a while, and (s)he is an active little thing!! It was so cool to see. The baby flips and turns and waves and wiggles. It's pretty interesting to see since I can't feel any of it.

We also learned a couple of interesting things about my body. First, I have an anterior placenta. This means that the placenta is located at top of my uterus, close to my abdomen. This is fine, and occurs in about 50% of pregnancies, but means that I might not be able to feel the baby kick as soon as other mommies, because the placenta will act as a cushion.
It also explains why it was hard for the obgyn to detect fetal heart rate. Again, the placenta blocks the doppler. 
I also got to see my ovaries and the technician could see which ovary I ovulated from to make the baby. SO cool! Completely useless information, but man science is fascinating. In case you're wondering (which I'm sure you're not), my right ovary made the baby. 

Here are some pictures of the baby below. SO much different than the pictures a few weeks ago. You can really see the profile now! Cutest nose on the planet!! (Yep...I'm already a proud mommy.)





6 comments:

  1. Love this child as much as my own two <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH That is the best!!! The picture really shows the baby. Yes her/his nose is great. SOOOOOO GLADDDD you have this blog. I get to share everything with you and love everything that you post. Thank you always my love Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow nicole amazing stuff. It is a cute lil baby midds!! :) Happy first trimester screen! YAY we should celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bottle of sparkling cider in the fridge lol - we'll celebrate this week when I come over for dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! How exciting and I couldn't be more happier for you!! Ultrasound pictures are the best :)

    ReplyDelete