Friday, November 18, 2011

Out with the old, In with the new...

Habits and obsessions that is.


Let's face it, I have a lot of time on my hands these days. Although I would have loved to think I was going to be that super cool pregnant chick that could hang out and go on partying with my friends (with Odoul's of course)... the fact is that I am just not capable of staying awake.


Sleeping is my "new thing." I thought this was supposed to be isolated to the first trimester. HA. I slept 11 hours last night. No exaggeration whatsoever. I slept through one of my favorite programs...that starts at EIGHT. Yup. I fell asleep on the couch at roughly 730pm. 
I can't really complain about this, since the most common piece of advice I receive is "sleep now before the baby comes." Don't worry folks - I've got it covered.


Next on the list - Shopping. The minute that the ultrasound tech announced I was having a little girl, I swear my credit card smiled. Everyone knows that girls clothes are irresistible. And being the super awesome bargain shopper that I am, I really can't resist. I found $4 outfits at the Children's Place last week at the mall! With sites like zulilly and totsy I'm impressed that I'm actually showing the restraint that I am...
I justify my new shopping habit with the fact that I'm no longer spending $100/week on alcohol and cigarettes. 
Many of my friends say "Don't! Wait for the shower!" I say "You're crazy!" First, if they think that this bored momma isn't going to shop, they must be drunk. Second, I cannot wait until I'm 8 months pregnant to start peanut's wardrobe. Next, I need a LOT of things off my registry. I know that I will get lots of cute clothes (and I can't wait!) but trust me, I have that part covered! I need diapers, and a stroller, and all the other equipment that this little human is suddenly going to require. So while I appreciate that I will be showered in gifts (including clothes) I am going to continue adding that onesie that "I MUST HAVE" to my virtual shopping cart!


Sleeping and shopping are definitely at the top of my list of habits and obsessions. But there is a host of other super crazy pregnancy things that I obsess over.


The nursery - I've spent hours pouring over nursery themes to find the one that is just right for our family. It's kept me up at night. Literally. There was one night that I obsessed over lighting and the possibility of installing track lighting with a dimmer. I don't want to wake up baby with a too bright lamp! Can it be done? Who can do it? Will it be expensive? Should I do it before or after I paint!?


My belly - The belly is a badge of honor. It serves the purpose to tell the world, hey! I'm pregnant. (That's why I just ordered an O'doul's!)
One day I'm so happy! Look at my belly, it's big, it's round, I look pregnant! The next day I think, hey, where is my belly! I don't look 'pregnant enough.' Or I think, what is that lumpy thing!? That's not what it's supposed to look like! 
I hear from friends "Oh wow you're huge for 16 weeks." And the next person will say "Oh, I can barely see you showing." I'm self conscious about this whole thing enough as it is. The only thing anyone should say to a pregnant lady is "You look great." End of story.


My belly AFTER baby - Bathing suit season almost immediately follows my delivery. So, yeah, that should be fun. If you see me swimming in all of my clothes - just tell me I look great.


Breastfeeding - Nothing is more controversial (besides safe sleep techniques maybe) than breastfeeding. Those who breastfeed will INSIST that you HAVE to do it. They will tell you how many months you should breastfeed. "6 months minimum!" "I pumped for 18 months!"
I plan on trying it. I'd like to do it in the beginning so that I can pass along all that healthy good stuff that comes with breast milk. And selfishly, they say it helps you lose weight faster. But you know what!? It sounds HORRIBLE. It sounds painful and it sounds time consuming. Mixing formula looks SO easy. I was bottle fed and I'm smart and healthy... I refuse to feel guilty about the way I choose to feed my baby. So again, please just smile and tell me I look great :-)


Exhibit A: Delivered today! Surprisingly this one was actually for ME and not baby :-)



1 comment:

  1. You are sooo funny! You will have that belly soon. Keep up the good work and glad to hear you are keeping up the exercise. It will help and make you feel great. You will bounce back with that great body so don' worry about it. I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete